Wednesday, August 6, 2014

For our teenage son

The last picture of you as a a 12 year old.
8/4/14,  11:00 PM



Dear Logan,

Today you turned 13.  I cannot grasp that I am writing thirteen, yet here I am.  Today the word teen is added to our family vocabulary.   As a matter of fact, I will be using the word teen to describe one of you kids'  ages for the next fifteen years.

Thirteen is a momentous achievement.  Nothing miraculous happened overnight but you've moved further away from boyhood and closer to manhood.  And as a reward, you'll now be mowing the lawn every Saturday from here on out...just kidding.

My first look at my thirteen year old.

I was thinking earlier this week about things that happened in those 12 short months between the ages of twelve and thirteen.  You got braces, grew taller than both your grandmas, asked for larger sized soccer cleats, told jokes that made me belly laugh,  I had to ask you to open jars for me,  you stayed home alone pretty regularly,  you finally got to sit in the front seat,  and you received your first cell phone so we communicated via text sometimes.  Of course there were some wonderful things that did not change too:  you still like me to tuck you in (especially if I crawl into bed with you for a extra couple minutes and we talk), you still love soccer, you still have humor like your Dad, you'll still hold my hand and kiss me on the cheek, you still hug your family when we leave the Tri-Cities,  you still have good manners and a thankful heart, and you're still a really great big brother.

For thirteen years you have been such a steady source of pride and joy.  You have demonstrated some really amazing qualities.  You are disciplined, compassionate, self controlled, mature, responsible, so helpful, and loving towards others.   Your smile lights up your already handsome face.  I know some teenagers go through an awkward stage but it's very hard to imagine you as anything other than the cute Logan you've always been.

 We love watching you play soccer.  You're confident and self assured as a goalie.  Your teammates look to you for leadership and you deliver.   We've talked about how professional athletes have a specific routine they'll run through before games so now when it's game time you'll do the same number of drills, then jump up to touch the goal bars before every game.  I've noticed that no cheers need to be yelled anymore (although I do still cheerlead from the sides)...when you make an awesome save you'll look over and one of us will give you a thumbs up sign and you'll give one back.  I am loving being more of a spectator in your life.   It's so good to see you have a great, developing passion for a sport.

I was a worried mom this school year.  I thought several times about how the experiences you were having will linger in your memory in ways that many of your childhood memories and experiences will not, and for that reason, I had to hold back many times and let YOU handle things instead of going all "mama bear" at your school.  This school year was not easy for you or for me.  Girls were mean to you, they teased you pretty relentlessly and daily, and your friends didn't stick up for you or have your back.  Your confidence waned this year, and you chose to be more of a homebody than in years past.  Your bright smiled dimmed a bit this year and you spent most nights pretty upset about something that happened at school.  Lots of tears were shed (by us both and even occasionally by Presley).   By the end of the year we were both ready for a break from an atmosphere that was not positive or encouraging.  I've thought about how to handle things next year and I can say, for the most part, I think you did a remarkable job.  There were definitely some hard lessons learned--it was hard to see you struggle.  I love that you were still able to trust us and talk to us and knew we would protect you.  Never forget that!!

You have always been so loved by your peers, everyone has wanted you as a friend.  Maybe this year you didn't feel that quite as much, but I can assure you that your teachers and parents of your friends think the world of you.  Dad and I ran into one of your teachers (Mr. Jensen) in Fred Meyer this summer and he talked to us about how you're a great kid that just "has it all together".  You and I saw another teacher (Mrs. Noah) at Rylan's soccer practice at Foothills and you gave her a big hug.  We left as she was talking to another mom and that mom came up to me afterwards and told me that Mrs. Noah told her how much she liked you.  When another parent asks how your 6th grade year went, and I'm honest, not one parent can believe that anyone would be mean to you, that you're just the kid that has always had such a great attitude and demeanor and a friend to others.  Most parents would tell me, "well you know it's just that the girls liked Logan".  I do think it went deeper than just the girls just wanting attention from someone who wasn't interested in giving it to them.  The point is, you are loved by so many!!

You are entering the next phase of your life.  Decisions you make over the next 5-8 years will greatly impact and shape you for years to come.  I believe you will be a great man because you have been a good boy.  In order to be great at something, you must first be good--humble, kind, respectful, honorable, teachable, coachable, and honest--you have been all those things.  Be a good friend to others, be the person that others know they can count on and trust.  Give everyone a chance, and treat people with respect.  It's simple really, and I've got no doubt you'll go far Logan!!  You are a great kid!!

We are so unbelievably proud of you and your dad and I are so grateful for the awesome gift you have been in our lives.

Love,
Mom

Logan's choice of breakfast was pancakes.
A sibling birthday picture.
Logan wanted to go to Sunnyslope and practice soccer. 
Ry helped him train (like every other day this summer).
Logan happily picked out Little Caeser's for dinner tonight. 
Logan got a few texts and birthday calls today. 
And this email from Grandma and Papa came today.
Oh, I laughed and laughed. 
Presley and I went and ordered his cake on Monday and she picked out this one for him. 
Logan had to be extra patient today because both him and Ry had soccer practice tonight and Daddy was running late due to a trauma case at work. 
Finally, we were ready to have cake and ice cream and open presents. 
Presley bought him the movie Grown Ups 2. 
She was so happy to be the one to buy him his first PG-13 movie. 
Harper and Ry bought him a new soccer ball.
Daddy and Mommy bought him 3 tickets to the Seattle Seahawks/Denver Broncos game in September. 
We sang him Happy Birthday.
These two were dancing around and Logan snuggled in for a hug. 
He blew out all his candles. 
Happy, sugared up kids at 9:00.
We love you Logan and were looking forward to the teen years with you!!





No comments:

Post a Comment