Thursday, April 18, 2013

Patricia Jean (Knowles) Legard

I got "the call" from my mom this afternoon at 4:15 that my Grandma had passed away.  There were no tears on the phone from either of us...we have shed so, so many over the last 2 weeks.  It was a quick phone call...I'm sure she needed to get back to my Grandpa and maybe make phone calls to others.

We always take our phone calls near the windows because that's where we get the best reception on our cell phones.  When I said good-bye to my mom I looked out the window and I saw these three children playing, running, chasing, laughing, being silly, and creating a memory (for me, not them).  So I quickly snapped a picture with my phone...


And then it hit me...My Grandma is gone from this Earth.  But I also realized the best part is that she lives on!!!  She's still such a big part of all of us--her children, her grandkids, and her great grandkids.  There's little glimpses of our Grandma Patsy Jean that will continue to live on, and this gives me peace tonight.  I see it in my kids' determination and strength to see a task to the end, I see it when they sing and dance throughout the house, I see it in the sparkle in their eyes, I see it when they're being stubborn and defiant and mischevious, I see it when they help one another, stick up for one another, teach each other, I hear it when they say I Love You and they find little ways to show it, and I see it when they're involved and caring toward others and giving of their time.  And in these ways and so many other ways, we'll continue to celebrate her life because after all, without her, there wouldn't be us.



We all had lots of time with her in her final days, holding her hands, listening to music, reading her our memory letters and books, and talking with her.  I had made the trip to the Tri-Cities four times in the last weeks--3 on my own and 1 with Dave and the kids.  I felt good about my good-bye, knowing I said the things that I needed for her to hear.  The kids were not afraid to see her in that state and held her hand and talked with her.  She knows she was loved by all of us--no doubt in my mind about that.  Tonight when I told the kids that Grandma had called to tell me that Grandma Berries had passed,  Logan was very quick to give me a hug and to remind me that now she gets to be with Pom Pom and that in heaven she remembers all of us and all of the good memories...such a wonderful thing to hear from my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment