Thursday, August 8, 2013

Love and Marriage

Today marks our 15th wedding anniversary.  


I don't think we've changed at all.

August 8, 1998

We were 24 and 23.  We had just graduated from college at Central Washington University and been offered our first jobs, me as a first grade teacher, you in the rehabilitation program at Wenatchee Valley Clinic.  We honeymooned in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.   Shortly after marriage, we bought our first car together.  Love was wonderful, marriage was wonderful.  I guess we thought the world was our oyster.  3 days short of our 3rd anniversary, (August 5, 2001) we held our first son Logan, 5 years into our marriage we welcomed our oldest daughter Presley (August 20, 2003),   8 years in we saw our youngest son Rylan for the first time (February 27, 2007), and finally, we completed our family after celebrating our 11th year, Harper (August 23rd, 2009).  We've had job lay-offs, job changes, moves, I've become a stay at home mom since Presley was born,  one miscarriage, we've built 2 houses together, bought sports cars, SUV's and mini vans, and just went through the motions of life.  

Together.  

For 15 years.  

And it doesn't really feel that long.  

We haven't watched our wedding DVD in a long time together, but I remember Amy and Thomas on camera in their reception interview saying something like, "never forget why you got married".  And Cristy saying something like, "I'll be looking forward to celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary with you."  People say marriage is hard work.  It hasn't been THAT hard, it's good work, it's the kind of work where you get out of it what you put into it.  Maybe thats the sign of a successful marriage: when you love someone,  it doesn't feel like work.  Marriage books will tell you to always put your partner first, that he's the person who will be there after the kids leave.  I know I haven't always put you first, that there have been many times when the kids' needs and wants (and mine too) have come way before yours.  And I know you haven't always put me first, the stress of work and being the sole income for our family has put you in some  "I can't make it tonight" predicaments.  But those times have only been the minority, a very small percentage of the whole 15 years, certainly not enough to make me wonder why we got married, definitely not enough to make me think we just aren't in love anymore or that the grass is greener on the other side.  I know in the thickest of times, you've got my back and I yours.  We're not perfect, we agree to that, and we've long since accepted it.  I think in the beginning we had a very romantic type of love which has evolved into a very mature type of love.  I think this is probably the successful cycle of a good, solid, loving marriage.

I'm glad we ended up in Sue Lombard Hall together, I'm glad we chose each other all those years ago.  I'm glad we make the daily choice to love each other and serve each other.  I'm glad we laugh together and show love to each other in little ways.   I'm proud of the family we've created and the memories we're still making.  You're the one for me, and you've definitely not made me feel like it's been 15 years of marriage.  

There's a lot of love in our family, and it started with me and you.
Fifteen years ago today.      

No comments:

Post a Comment